Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Go "La la la la la" - the Quotative "Go"

Maybe this is an early indication of my soon-to-be-discovered linguistic genius (yeah right, ha ha ha ha), but as a kid I often puzzled over the use of 'go' as a quotative. Obviously it wasn't considered 'proper'. Sure, they put it in songs and things, but you wouldn't write 'goes' instead of 'says' or 'said' in an essay. But I couldn't think of how to better convey that I was about to say what someone else said without sounding too literary and 'fake'.

Besides, half the time I wasn't saying just what someone was 'saying' -- it felt like it was something more than just 'saying', and just using 'say' to convey whatever that was felt strange. "And he said, Whoooaaaa, duuuude, is that a Charizard?" It just didn't sound right. For some reason 'go' sounded much better, but that wasn't proper, right? Maybe I should just say what they said/how they acted without using either...Well, that seemed weird, too.

I never really came to a conclusion, either because I lacked the mental fortitude or because the many horse figurines that I owned were whinnying for me to play with them (probably the latter, because PONIES). But later, as 'like' came into more use, I began to think about the same kind of things. 'Like' seemed kind of inelegant, but what else really (besides go) was so completely convenient? And it seemed so apt! I mean, if I had never actually said 'God, I'm about to up and die of boredom' aloud, why would I use 'say'? Or even 'go', for that matter?

Then yesterday I started reading David Crystal's blog. I don't know why it never occurred to me that he might have a blog, but I just discovered it the other day while looking up the difference between 'three-story' and 'three stories', or 'three-year-old' and 'three years old'. He has an entry from March on using 'go' as a quotative.

"First, the historical point. This use of go has been around for quite a while. The online OED has a draft addition which reflects its recent increase in frequency, but the earliest recorded instances are over 150 years old. It defines it thus: 'to utter (the noise indicated) with direct speech... now often in the historic present'..."
 Hey! And what's more, just as my younger self intuited, 'go' "offers a dramatic alternative to say. Say is used when the language is more factual; go when the speaker in the narrative is more involved in the action." It's also often used when "direct speech begins with an interjection or similar vocal effect."
" In one study, it was found that 76 percent of uses of quotative go occurred with a following vocal effect, often with accompanying gestures or facial expressions. The function is sometimes described as 'mimetic' - the speaker is trying to recreate exactly the audio-visual character of the discourse being reported."
 Like is even more broad, and can encompass 'unspoken' areas of expression like thoughts or emotions.

So now I won't feel so bad when I use 'go' or 'like' and can't think of how properly express myself otherwise without becoming verbose. Yeah! I do what I want!

5 comments:

  1. Tana, this comment isn't about this post (as much as I enjoyed it), but I thought I'd share a great Japanese language blog with you. You'll find it here. This specific discussion is about writing Japanese words with or without spaces in romaji.

    PS: Isn't that quote by Valéry absolutely beautiful?

    PPS: So I'm now going, like, you know, off track here, and you're probably going like, hey, sister, get with it, but, yeah!, I do what I want! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! Thanks so much! I'm supposed to be doing work again (this was only supposed to be a ten minute break, oh noes) but I'm reading more entries now. I'd actually wondered about spacing when you use romaji. Too many interesting entries, brain overload!

      Delete
    2. Yup, that blog causes brain overload. It's way beyond my level, but I still enjoy reading it. ^^

      Delete
  2. You guys are too kind :)

    It’s not above your level, it’s me who has trouble explaining things! I hope it improves with practice.

    P.S.: really enjoyed this about the quotative “go”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! I really enjoy your posts. I hadn't known about the kanjigen tool. I haven't used it 'seriously' yet but sometimes I think 'where did this come from, I wonder' and search random characters. :P

      Can I ask a not-Japanese-related question? How are you studying Norwegian? I've been casually browsing a few of the online resources like NTNU's modules for a while.

      Delete