Sunday, May 20, 2012

ディスる and subs2srs

ディスる
On Sundays I watch the show on the top of the variety feed, whatever it is. If I didn't I'd end up watching the same shows every week. Sometimes it isn't very interesting, since it's all entertainment and the main object is to either shock you or get a laugh out of you. But sometimes you learn some interesting things. For example, I learned the word ディスる while watching スクール革命. It comes from the English "diss", of course. Now I can talk about people dissing other people in Japanese. Although does anyone use "diss" in English that often nowadays?


subs2srs

I came across this on /r/languagelearning.

"subs2srs allows you to create import files for Anki or other Spaced Repetition Systems (SRS) based on your favorite foreign language movies and TV shows to aid in the language learning process.
This utility will parse through subtitle files, extract the dialog and timing information and then use that information to generate audio clips, snapshots and video clips for each line of dialog."
 Although you can do the same kind of thing on LWT, this is less time-intensive. If you have both the English and Japanese subtitles, they can be matched and processed at the same time into one card. Pretty cool!

2 comments:

  1. Funny! :) I may call myself a language purist, but I love mixing grammars. (I'm also a woman. I'm supposed to contradict myself.) I've developed the habit of adding "-nai" to Afrikaans/German/English words to indicate a negative.

    Disseru opens up great possibilities. Kidderu, snubberu, smackeru ...

    PS: I've never heard anybody use the word "diss" except in movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mix all the languages! While in Japan my friends and I came up with "deki-nied", which is a combination of dekinai and denied, to be used when you attempt to do something and fail, but with the implication that the failure wasn't your fault. :P

      I would definitely use smackeru. As for "diss", I'm pretty sure a lot of people used in when I was in middle school, but I never hear it anymore.

      Delete