Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Translation Exercise: 「ご主人は、私よ」


「ご主人は、私よ」, from 『女のセリフ120』 by 伊藤雅子 ( 未来社, 1995)

"I'm my own master!"

Even among the younger generation, there are still many people who use the word "master" (shujin) to mean "husband." I often hear of people who say they don't call their own husband "master" but end up using the term for other people's husbands (goshujin). 

The female historian Yamazaki Akiko told me that when she is asked "And what about your master? (Goshujin ha?)" she answers, "I am the master of myself." A firm and sound reply.

I recently heard this from a newlywed friend: "When a new friend asks me something like, 'How is your goshujin today?' and I answer, 'I'm my own master!' they say, 'Oh, you're right!'"

This friend has a husband who is still a student. In their household, she is the "breadwinner." The meaning of the word "master" rings all the more true in her mock-rebellious reply when asked this kind of question by someone who knows this background information.

The following words have been heard in the mouths of my single friends.

"You have to be careful when hanging out with a married woman."

That is, it seems that when meeting with someone who does not earn their own money, whether it's for dinner or a short trip, one must take care to note that person's personal limits.*

"Going out with someone who works is fine, but I end up hesitating when it comes to people who use their 'master's' money. It's partly because of the so-called 'housewife money sense'. So what I always do is have them decide ahead of time, and then just go off of that."

I wonder what these married women would think to know that they're being seen this way by their own friends.

*「自分自身の稼ぎを暮らしていない人とつき合うとき、[略] どれくらいのランクがその人の許容範囲なのか気を遣うのだそうだ。」



No comments:

Post a Comment